21 Nov 2019
Published: 10 Jun 2019Why API testing is critical for today’s Business applications?
Last Updated: 12 Feb 2020
In today’s competitive world, businesses should understand the fact that only the best applications thrive well and continue to attract a lot of traffic. This prevalent concept has made software application development and software product development vital for all businesses across industries.
1. API Testing
2. What Does API Testing Revolve Around?
3. How is API Testing Done?
4. How does API Testing Play a Key Role?
5. Why Robust API Testing is the Future?
5. How can Testingxperts help you with Effective API Testing?
The Application Program Interface (API) is a set of processes, protocols, routines and tools for building these critical software applications. It is rather an interface that allows software applications to communicate with one another and is mainly used while programming the graphical user interface (GUI) components. There is a lot of significance as an API specifies how its software components should interact with each other.
APIs are essential for creating an effective and connected experience for customers and thus businesses are beginning to realize their value. Understanding the depth of its role with respect to applications, hence the importance of API testing has come into place.
This specific testing involves testing of the application interfaces directly as part of the integration testing to determine if the application perfectly meets the expectations for functionality, performance, reliability and security. API testing is one of the challenging test practices in the software and QA process as it reveals the bugs, inconsistencies, and deviations from the expected application behavior.
According to a report on API Testing market outlook from MarketsandMarkets, the global API testing market size is expected to grow from USD 384.3 Million in 2016 to USD 1,099.1 Million by 2022, at a CAGR of 19.69% from 2017 to 2022. It has also been predicted that in the API testing market, the BFSI vertical is expected to grow at the highest rate during the forecast period (2017-2022).
Undoubtedly, investing more time and effort in API testing leads to better quality products that dominate the market with good reliability, security and performance.
– To ensure the APIs work as expected
– To specify and ensure the application can handle the desired load
– To establish the APIs work seamlessly through the operating systems and devices
– To ensure the data that passes through the API is in lieu of compliance & security
– To make sure all the business rules have been correctly implemented at the API level
– To enable a better user experience
– To ensure easier expansion of applications
– To make sure the API provides the required functionality
1. Set up the Environment:
Initially setting up of the environment should be done with the required parameters that need to be configured for the given API. This includes configuration of server and database as per the API requirement.
2. Define the Test Plan:
The test plan varies based on product type and API. But a solid test plan should cover all scenarios in depth, clearly define the priority of scenarios that need to be tested. It should also include some of the common testing types like unit, integration, security, performance and third-party API tests.
3. Make an API Call:
It is important to make an API call to ensure there are no broken links in the process of testing as it is crucial before proceeding with the actual testing.
4. Combine Data with API Tests:
This step helps to make sure the interface functions as expected with the provided parameters after being configured.
The interface is the heart of any application and if the product interface is not good enough, then it shows an adverse effect on its viability. It is a known fact that applications are getting more complex due to the varying end-user needs and in order to meet them, the API’s have become vital tools for businesses across every industry segment. Hence, it necessitates the need for an effective API testing at first hand.
Moreover, there is a significant chance that the API’s can be hacked. It is also unfortunate that whenever resources are exposed to the internet, it is likely to be attacked in some way or the other. Hence integration testing and API security testing is critical for all businesses today.
This testing not only ensures security standards but also confirms that the overall system will perform well even under varying loads or network conditions.
Joe Colantonio, an eminent testing domain blogger in his blog on “Why API Testing is Important,” justifies the importance of API testing, saying that API testing is important with the agile practices on the go and with the internet of things (IoT) all around.
He further adds that agile has increased the frequency with which applications are released which in turn has created an increased demand for new ways to quickly test them. GUI tests are typically too slow to get the test coverage and since API tests do not rely on a User interface(UI) to be ready, thus they can be created early in the software development process.
However, to achieve the best results with API testing, it is essential for organizations to follow a set of best practices.
APIs have been the core for more applications to process. The APIs should be continuously analyzed as these replicate the complete application performance. So, businesses that underlie on API integrations should continuously follow certain testing strategies to maintain hassle-free data access for the customers and make the application responsive in every perspective.
– Make the tabs of API performance functionality use the API tests so that the tests help to monitor the issues related to speed, availability and the data which is used for analyzing the performance trends.
– The efficient way to be a step ahead from the issues is by adopting the testing practice from the initial stage. Involving the testing methods from the beginning of the process will help to achieve resourceful applications before the production.
– Data exchange is an important functionality for API transactions. Hence, to make the data reliable, testing the availability is not the only solution. It is essential for the organizations to test the API functionality by validating and ensuring the inputs and data structure
– Effectively monitoring the API endpoints helps to identify the issues related to performance at a faster speed. Also, the continuous testing on API endpoints will ensure the availability and reduce its influence on end-users.
– When new features are subjected to get include, it is important for enterprises to understand their impact over the already existing API integrations. This method of testing the functionality of the latest deployments will help to find the issues. And, if the application doesn’t work with the APIs that are being used, then it can crash or slow down the application.
– It is crucial to test the API dependencies to validate the app performance. Whether the application being used have multiple APIs built-in application or the application has APIs that integrate using multiple APIs, it is important to test regularly about the API dependency because they actively tend to get upgraded or updated.
– Constantly monitoring API will help to be in-line with the ensured SLA. This helps to identify the performance bugs and fix them faster and reduced the breaches.
– The practice of API testing assures to close the gaps raised in UI testing. This helps the developers to identify and rectify the bugs within the system. Also, the robust API testing procedure ensures to build error-free business applications. Also robust API testing team face several challenges to automate API test cases
It tests the API’s for their capabilities to integrate, stand out to expected functionalities, equally weigh aptly for performance parameters and meet up the security standards
– The robust API testing practice helps to verify code, discover the defects at an early stage and evaluate any unwanted code
– This testing exposes coding issues that either manual or automated tests might miss
– Its superiority is that it is far less time consuming than functional GUI testing
– This aptly tests the core of your product’s functionality and it is the truth that functionality typically determines the end user’s expectations
– With API’s, integration of tools or programs can happen at any point of time to enhance the experience and functionalities of the software
– API testing is indispensable and test automation is leveraged currently to make the testing process faster and error-free
Pure play testing services providers like TestingXperts have a good number of expert API testers and provide the perfect environment to test your application interface effectively and efficiently as they have:
– Expertise on a wide range of API protocols like XML, SOAP, JSON, REST, Gdata, YAML, ATOM, RSS, and RDF etc.
– Experience with testing for code level functionality and ensure test accuracy
– Experience to perform end-to-end application validations at various layers of the application
– Expertise on leading industry tools for API testing for functional, load, and security testing
– Ample exposure with the automation of API test cases
updated on : 02-12-2020