Published: 05 Jun 2017
How Continuous Testing Eliminates Top 5 Challenges Faced by ISV’s
Last Updated: 11 Jun 2020
Changes have been continuously shaking markets as Independent Software Vendors (ISV’s) of all sizes are competing to sustain with how customers consume the applications. There is fierce competition and delivering a superior product ahead of the competition is the only way to stay relevant in the market. Any new release of the product must have flawless functionality, fast performance, great customer experience, and reliable security.
In this scenario, application testing is a crucial phase of the development lifecycle. End to end testing of the application helps the organization enhance customer loyalty, builds a brand’s visibility, and boosts profitability. Due to the frequently changing requirements, together with a compact software development lifecycle (SDLC), ISV testing teams have been facing the pressure to do more with less budget.
1. Budget constraints: ISV’s, especially the smaller ones, may need to deal with low budgets which are spent in a strong vigil from investors or promoters. They need to re-define their product strategy and implementation approach as per the allocated budget.
2. Changing demands of product owner: There are times when customers tend to dictate what an ISV must deliver in order to be successful. With the rapidly changing requirements of the product owner, lots of flexibility is required.
3. Early release requirement: The scarcity of time for releasing a software makes it difficult for turning ideas into requirements, developed, designed, and released in a collapsed timeframe.
4. The internal team performing testing, affecting quality: ISVs, many times, do not have the budget to support a robust testing process. They usually take a leap of confidence that the developers will perform the necessary amount of testing to ensure a successful product, which affects the quality.
5. Inability to attract talent: Smaller ISVs may be striving to make a mark in the industry and may have issues attracting talent and people who have relevant experience in this industry.
The introduction of advanced software development models such as DevOps has allowed testers to apply their earnest efforts towards instilling quality into a software application, right from its inception. The DevOps model enables dynamic and continuous testing efforts created right from the beginning of the development stage through the initial production release and beyond.
Several companies are adopting continuous testing practices to respond to competitive demands and deliver higher-quality applications. Continuous testing helps in increasing productivity and the ability to deliver high-quality applications that are aligned with business needs.
• Improves speed to market: Organizations can test potentially releasable software very early in the lifecycle. Testing at the time of application development allows the client to understand the quality of development. This allows ISV’s to release the applications faster, which allows them to get the revenue sooner.
• Improves quality: Continuous testing helps improve the quality of the application while verifying each component at the development phase through more automated tests.
• Increases ability to deliver: As an organization’s ability to deliver high-quality software progresses, the number of issues within upstream development activities decrease. This surges the total number of usable software that is formed by the team, thus increasing the team’s ability.
• Lowers risk: Due to the combined and iterative nature of continuous testing practices, risks are able to be recognized and alleviated earlier in the process.
In this situation, ISV companies should leverage outsourcing options that are best suited to provide a perfect solution to the challenges they are facing. An efficient and specialist testing company can provide integration and synchronization between the suite components and tools within the SDLC. TestingXperts, with specialist experience in DevOps testing, brings next-generation QA services catering to the specific needs of the ISVs. Read more about our DevOps testing services here.