11 Jul 2018
21 Aug 2017Shift Left and Shift Right Testing Approach for Quality & Agility
In a quest to achieve quicker delivery of software, organizations are increasingly adopting Agile development model. However, to maximize the benefits of Agile software development, testing should be executed simultaneously with development. For this reason, organizations have been adopting DevOps for the last couple of years. The adoption of DevOps has helped teams to collaborate more, and implement practices such as ‘Shift-Left’ and ‘Shift Right’ testing. These practices are helping enterprises in building quality right from the beginning of the project. In this blog, we will discuss the importance of ‘shift left’ and ‘shift right’ testing approaches to ensure quality and agility.
As the name suggests, shift left testing approach starts to focus on testing as early as requirements phase. Generally, testing process originates with static review of requirements specifications with focus to identify and remove ambiguities in requirements and enhance the quality of requirements consumed down-stream. This helps in identifying many defects early in the lifecycle. Shift left testing approach introduces testers at the primary stage of development to help them understand what requirements are being scoped and what the testability of those requirements is. This also helps testing teams to identify high level test scenarios and start work on the detailed test cases.
– Time and resources are saved: Shift left approach helps in finding defects earlier in the software development lifecycle, allowing resources to invest less time in finding defects, thereby increasing quality and improving efficiency.
– Defects are found and fixed early: It’s very cost effective to start identifying defects in requirements / user stories as it helps the testers to understand the testability of each requirement.
– Faster product delivery: Shift-left testing streamlines the development process, thereby ensuring faster delivery.
– Enhanced design: Through shift-left testing, bottlenecks, roadblocks, and possible performance failures are detected early on in the lifecycle, leading to a better design.
Thus, shift left testing approach is an easy and economical way of reducing the time, efforts, and cost in improving the software at a complex state.
As we all know that shift-left is critical to software quality assurance and is an essential step in ensuring quality from the start, this approach alone is not enough to maintain performance and user experience. This has resulted in organizations adopting a ‘Shift-Right’ approach. Shift right testing approach initiates the testing task from the right that means post production of the software. In this approach performance and usability of an application is continuously monitored and feedback is sought continuously from users to understand the user behavior. This approach helps in launching new features in the application fast and test by simulating its behavior in production. This is achieved by gathering continuous feedback from the users through both formal and informal communication channels.
– Quick feedback: Shift-right approach, allows the teams to gather user feedback and incorporate them in quick succession.
– Maximum test coverage: Shift right approach to testing provides testers the freedom of testing more and testing timely. This helps in eliminating more defects at the preliminary stage and provide a better quality application.
– More automation: Automation saves time and effort. Automating large parts of the process, when features and patches are being built into the application, helps in saving time and eventually helps in providing quality at speed.
Thus, adopting a Shift right testing approach offers improved customer experience and enhanced test coverage.
Considering the above-stated details, both shift-left and shift-right testing approaches are equally important and help in delivering a unique and different way of testing the software application. At TestingXperts, we follow both ‘Shift-Left’ and ‘Shift-Right’ software testing approach that adequately touches each and every aspect of the application to ensure best possible quality. Connect with us and allow us to make your software ready for business quickly.